At Huckleberry Vets we are committed to protecting and respecting the privacy of our clients.
This policy (together with our Terms and Conditions) explains why we collect personal information from you, how we use it, the conditions under which we may disclose it to others and how we keep it secure. By engaging with us to provide veterinary services or visiting our website you are accepting and consenting to the practices described in this policy.
We confirm that any information supplied will be kept on secure servers and will comply fully with all applicable UK Data Protection legislation.
We may collect and process the following data about you: your name, address, email address, phone number, relevant financial information, including bank details and insurance information, personal description, photographs, details regarding your pet/s.
How do we collect information from you?
You may give us information about you by filling in forms on our website, or by corresponding with us by phone, email, face to face in the practice or by participating in discussion boards or other social media functions on our website.
Details of visits to our website and the pages and resources that are accessed, including, but not limited to, traffic data, location data and other communication data that may assist us in understanding how visitors use our site. This may also include the resources that you access, and information about where you are on the internet including the domain type, IP address and URL that you came from. This information may be collected and used for internal research purposes only and to improve our customer service.
How we use your personal information
We process your data to provide the services and products defined in our Terms and Conditions. Our legal basis for processing this data falls into one of the following categories:
- To enable us to form a contract with you to provide services
- To serve our legitimate business interests- such as processing a payment or sending you a vaccine reminder.
- Where we have your consent- such as for marketing.
We may share the information about you defined above with certain third parties, to enable us to provide the products and services defined in our Terms and Conditions. These include:
- Payment processors who will retain your data only for the time it takes to process the payment
- Insurance and health plan providers
- Indemnity providers (veterinary defence service)
- Other professional and legal advisors
- Debt recovery agencies
- Referrals to other vets or specialist clinics and labs or other providers who support us in providing veterinary services to your pet
Where we share your information with third parties, we ensure they only receive the information they need to fulfil their services to us. We have data processing agreements in place which define how they use your data, how to protect it and what to do when our relationship with them is terminated.
We will retain information about you for as long as we have a legitimate business interest to do so. After this your information will be securely destroyed where possible or at least anonymised where destruction is technically impossible.
Under the GDPR you have the following rights over your information:
- To fair processing by us of your information – we have to be clear and transparent about what we do with your information.
- To access, correct, update, or request that we stop processing or delete your information. To exercise these rights please email us at email@example.com
- To opt out of marketing communication
- To withdraw your consent for processing where we rely on your consent to process your information.
You have the right to demand access to your personal data
You have the right to receive a copy of your data, and to request any other information about how and why we process your data.
You have the right to demand that your personal data is corrected
You have the right to request that we rectify your personal data if it is incomplete or inaccurate.
You have the right to demand that we delete your personal data
In some circumstances, you have the right to demand that we delete your personal data unless there is a reason for us to continue processing it.
This right applies if we have no further use for your data, if you rescind your consent for processing particular categories of your data, or if you oppose the manner in which we process your data.
You have the right to demand that we limit the processing of your data
You have the right to demand that we limit processing of personal data we hold about you.
This right applies when:
- You think the data is incorrect;
- The processing is illicit but you prefer us to cease processing rather than delete your data
- When we no longer need to use your personal data for the purpose for which it was collected, but it is still required for the fulfilment, exercise or defence of rights in court or for legal purposes
- You want to check that our legal basis for processing the data does not impact your rights.
You have the right to oppose our processing of your data
You have the right to oppose our processing of your personal data if our legitimate interests impose on your rights and freedoms in law.
In addition, you have the absolute legal right to oppose our processing of your data if we are doing it for the purposes of direct marketing.
You have a right to rescind your consent
Where we process your personal data with consent as our legal basis for processing, e.g. for direct marketing, you have the right to withdraw that consent at any time. We provide opt-out instructions in our communications.
If you contact us to exercise any of these rights we may ask for information about you to positively identify you and verify that your request is lawful and valid.
How do I opt out?
You have a choice about whether or not you wish to receive information from us. We will not make contact with you for marketing purposes unless you have previously opted in. If you no longer wish to receive direct marketing communications from us you can change your preferences or completely unsubscribe in one of two ways:
- Click the ‘unsubscribe’ link at the bottom of marketing emails sent to you
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will process your request at the earliest opportunity